What is Magnesium-Nitride?
Magnesium nitride is an inorganic compound that has the chemical formula Mg3N2. It is a part of the cubic crystals system. At temperatures at room temperature, pure magnesium Nitride is a yellow-green or green powder and magnesium nitride which contains the impurities made of magnesium oxide is grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium nitride is 100.95g/mol. Its density 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium Nitride is totally dissolved in water and acid, however it is partially dissolved by the ether and ethanol.
The melting point of magnesium nitride ranges from 1500 to 1500 degrees. Magnesium nitride, like many metal nitrides, reacts water and produces ammonia. It is commonly used as a catalyst. React with acid , or aqueous nonmetallic oxides in order to produce ammonium salts as well as magnesium salts.
Magnesium nitride is ceramic in nature. Magnesium Nitride has a high corrosion resistance and greatly increases production efficiency. Magnesium is also a great material for thermal conductivity, aswell being resistant to corrosion and resistance to temperature. Magnesium nitride has another great significance because it serves as a catalyst for production of boron-Ni.
What Do You Use Magnesium Nitride For?
1. As a catalyst, it is used to preparation of nitride compounds from other elements that have high hardness and thermal conductivity. It is also a good choice for corrosion resistance, wear resistance, and high temperature resistance. In the first successful formula for cubic boron, one catalyst involved was magnesium Nitride.
2. This is a high strength steel Smelting additives. Magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) is a substitute for desulphurized magnesium during construction steel Smelting, which can help in increasing the density strength tension, and bearing force of steel. Furthermore, the usage of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurizationwill reduce the quantity of other additivesand help lower the cost of manufacturing construction steel;
3. It is used to prepare special ceramic materials;
4. For the manufacture of special alloy foaming agent
5. Special glass for manufacturing;
6. To crosslink catalytically-linked polymers.
7. To reuse nuclear waste
How to Make Magnesium Nitride?
Presently, the primary preparation methods of magnesium nitride involve direct reaction method for magnesium powder using nitrogen, method of reaction of carbon with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow and the magnesium coil explosion method in nitrogen atmosphere the low pressure chemical gas process, self-propagating high temperature synthesis method, nano magnesium nitride synthesis technique and many more.
Recently, G. Soto et al. have prepared amorphous magnesium nutride films that have different Mg:N ratios Si substrates in a nitrogen molecular atmosphere by Laser pulse deposition. These methods are limited in their production for industrial use due to expensive costs, long processes with complex equipment, or low yields for magnesium nitride.
While the direct reaction of magnesium powder and nitrogen can have an industrial use, the creation of magnesium nitride requires greater reaction temperatures and a longer reaction time. Additionally, the shape of the powder is insufficient and easy to agglomerate which can not meet the demands of industrial-grade quality. It is possible to decompose NH3 into Nbreaking bonds faster than N2 and the decomposed H2 is able to slow the growth of MgO. As such, ammonia gas can be used as the nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. employed liquid ammonia as a nitrogen source to prepare magnesium nitride using direct the nitriding process of magnesium powder. The following conclusions could be drawn: Based on thermodynamic analysis, liquid amonia could react with magnesium powder quicker than nitrogen for the production of magnesium nitride. magnesium nitride powder with high purity and uniform powder particles can be made at 600 degrees Celsius and in ammonia-based atmosphere for 1 hour, and then heated to 800, ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min with the time for nitriding of 1h.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Powder Provider
We are a respected global chemical material supplier & manufacturer with more that 12 years of experience providing premium chemicals and nanomaterials. These include silicon powder the graphite-based powder zinc sulfide calcium nitride, 3D printing powder, and many more.
If you’re seeking top-quality Mg3N2 powder, please feel free to reach us via email and submit an inquiry. (email@example.com)